Friday 15 March 2013

Dar Papillon, Berkhamsted



Vegan and Vegetarian Cafe Restaurant

I really wanted to love this place. I really want to love it. It's good natured and rather sweet. 
It's heart's in the right place.  Everything else however, is just a bit out of sync. 

The food is really quite basic. The ingredients include some more exotic than I might use at 
home but nothing stands out. Some, I'm afraid, stand out for exactly the opposite reasons.I ordered a 
jewelled salad  in here one Summer evening to find this consisted of boiled rice with sweetcorn in it. 
With not a lot else to it.

The staff are so keen to be good and helpful that you almost feel it would be churlish to note
that they've twice mixed up the drink order or brought one dinner guest entirely the wrong thing. We 
think. Other main courses bear  limited relation to what we had been expecting so we can't be sure.

The cakes were nice and varied on one visit but stale on another two optimistic visits. 

Great fresh juices, good coffee but the pleasant teas are expensive. For that price, I don't 
want to be sitting on a plastic chair. This isn't quirky, it's just tatty. Shabby chic without the 
chic. The decor looks amateur but done so earnestly I feel bad karma for just having written that. 


I am so sorry to write anything negative as I can't help but feel that the place is someone's
very personal project. Someone without a lot of restaurant experience I'd guess.

Fairtrade and Organic where it can, oh that must count for something mustn't it? Should it 
have to?

Oh, but I do want to love this place and that perhaps explains my satisfaction of seeing that 
it's still open when I pass by.  It doesn't explain my surprise though.

Go and experience Dar Papillon. It will be good for the soul if less edifying to the palate.



5 comments:

  1. That's probably the nicest 'bad' review I've ever read! You have some good advice for them so I hope they heed it... plastic chairs only really work in garden centre cafes I feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to this wonderful, original tranquil place and cannot believe this ridiculous account. This patronizing reviewer keeps on saying how he/she feels bad writing negative things but is then relentless in passing scathing comments. Vindictive with a polite smile, a little like taking pleasure in kicking a person on the ground but with an apology after each kick!
    Not sure what the writer's agenda is here, but the tone is quite sinister, insincere and attempting to be magnanimous at the same time. I feel that this reviewer would take delight if this wonderful original establishment would close down, perhaps being replaced by a fast food chain?

    I have not told the owner about this review because doing so would give it gravitas. I don't think she needs to worry as she has built a loyal happy client base and received some fantastic reviews especially one from Berkhamsted Living magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We visit this place every now and then, as there really aren't that many vegetarian vegan places to go, which actually have some choice of healthy food. The food has an Asian influence with lots of spices added. We like it and the staff are eager to please and friendly, We really don't mind about the chairs at all, the main point is that this is another place to have vegan cruelty free food and we should be encouraging them, not criticising the decor! It is relaxed and colourful and creative and that's just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is spot on! It is trying to be alternative and quirky but just manages to be tacky and rather scruffy. The hybrid shop/cafe does not work either, it just looks a mess. Prices are ridiculous, especially for teas, however well they are presented. Plastic chairs outside add even further to the overall scruffy appearance. I like quirky, I like alternative, I like independent. I do not like untidy, clueless and overpriced.

    ReplyDelete